Setting the board meeting agenda can be challenging. Do not dismiss it as an administrative exercise – it influences the effectiveness of meetings and is an opportunity for company secretaries to contribute to the business and the board.
Board meeting agenda – In brief
- The board meeting agenda is a map setting the direction for the discussion. Unfortunately, it’s often more like plugging into Google Maps rather than planning the itinerary for a road trip.
- There’s more to a meeting than just meeting it. Recent regulatory scrutiny has highlighted the need for “on-the-spot and key issues for the board’s consideration.
- Including the expected duration of each item on the agenda. However, the Royal Commission into Misconduct in Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry has shown that.
- When they are just released, it may be reasonable to ask questions about whether or not they are adequately considered. Importantly, though, these overlook the time directors spend preparing for a meeting, reflecting on the information they receive, and pre-engaging with management and each other.
- The duration of the examination does not indicate its quality, and directives and governance have other tools at their disposal.
What it means for you
Choose your own adventure – customizing the board meeting agenda
Chairs, directors, CEOs and company secretaries should consider where the board should focus on. How that looks will vary depending on organizations’ unique circumstances.
When directors arrive at the meeting energetically, fully prepared and ready to start, it can be worthwhile capitalizing on that momentum. Alternatively, other boards may prefer some time to warm up and talk about the facts that will color their later decisions, beginning with the CEO’s report before turning to proposed approvals.
Cast the net – calling for papers
Company secretaries are a bridge between directors and management and can help both groups operate more effectively. Adopting a proactive approach to building
What do you want to bring to the board?
Developing strong connections across the business helps to identify potential board papers at the earliest possible opportunity. This not only supports timely agenda preparation but underpins early engagement on reports and proposed resolutions, contributing to improved quality and efficiency.
Pay it forward – planning ahead
Expanding board’s responsibility makes an effective board meeting agenda more important than ever. It plays a pivotal role in ensuring directors prioritize key issues while also addressing their full range of responsibilities.
Establishing a forward agenda process provides it with the business or matters arising from the board.
It also ensures that the periodic matters are reviewed and that they are approved. When the board comes to review its operations, it can be addressed.
Diligent Boards brings board meeting agendas to life. It connects the agenda for a meeting directly to the reports and provides a navigation tool and reference point to help guide participants. To find out more, contact us at email@example.com or request a demonstration .
Board Portal Buyer’s Guide
With the right Board Portal software, a board can improve corporate governance and efficiency while collaborating in a secure environment. With lots of board portal vendors to choose from, the whitepaper contains the most important questions to ask during your search, divided into five essential categories.
February 3, 2021
Meeting Minutes Keep the Record — and Keep Your Organisation Safe
Imagine that it’s late in the evening, and the topic your board or council has been anticipating with a little angst finally arrives on the agenda. The board president’s introduction is neutral, and the first few comments are restrained, but eventually, the discussion becomes more impassioned. Your fellow members follow…
January 29, 2021
Business Continuity Strategy: Options, Best Practice Approaches and Examples
There’s no shortage of things to consider when you’re upgrading your business continuity strategy. For instance: What should your plan cover? What are the critical inputs to the business continuity strategy? What are the different approaches and solutions available? What should the recovery strategies look like within your business…
February 26, 2020
Is your governance up to scratch? Let the ASX recommendations be your guide
With 2020 well underway, prudent businesses will be double-checking their corporate governance principles to make sure they’re up to the task. Justice Owen, in the HIH Royal Commission, described corporate governance as “the framework of rules, relationships, systems and processes within and by which authority is exercised and controlled within…